What the Word says… Bible verses about addiction and recovery.
** As more people offer their support, information, time, resources, etc for this site, we will update this. For now, here are a few from a Bible study web site; you can click HERE to read their full article.
“Lives are filled with various forms of temptations. It’s our forgiving God’s words where people can find the encouragement and strength to overcome these cravings. These Bible verses provide inspiration to overcoming the power of addiction with the faith and spirit of the Lord.”
- No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. Therefore, my dear friends, flee from idolatry. 1 Corinthians 10:13-14
- Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character. 1 Corinthians 15:33
- Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
- I have the right to do anything, you say—but not everything is beneficial. I have the right to do anything – but I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12
- And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast. 1 Peter 5:10
- and call on me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me. Psalm 50:15
- Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. Romans 5:3-5
- It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age Titus 2:12
- For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:15-16
- I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
- Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness. Psalm 95:8
- And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from the evil one. Matthew 6:13
- Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41
We welcome you to send us your favorite scripture. Thank you!